NEW SEGMENT: recycled recipes.
Where am I recycling them from? My old blog of course ;). I’ve realized how creative in the kitchen I used to be, buuuuut, not so much anymore. By recycling some of the awesome stuff I used to come up with, hopefully will inspire me to create some new ones! These posts will be featured on Sunday’s, until I run out! Enjoy!
Who says making vegan dishes has to be tough? Honestly, about 70% of all dishes are vegan anyways, so it really shouldn’t be intimidating. If you minus the meats, the butter and the dairy (sour creams, cheeses, dairy milk, etc) that are sometimes used, you’re left with the grains, veggies and seasonings that often accompany these meals!
Since I’m in school, I live for simple, yet delicious meals. Which is why I’m here to show you how simple (and great) some meals can really be.
Mushroom Risotto’d Rice
This is what I like to call rice that isn’t quite risotto, but likes to think that it is. It’s delicious, easy and best yet, vegan.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Extra kitchen tools you’ll need:
- A rice cooker (or a pot if doing it that way)
- An immersion blender
1 cup brown basmati rice
1/2 cup wild rice
1 tbsp Earth Balance (or any other non-dairy butter or oil)
6-8 brown mushrooms (or enough to make 2 cups chopped)
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp herbamare (or any other seasonings you like/have on hand)
1 cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
Pepper to taste
Parsley, for garnish
- Start by placing both your rices in the rice cooker (will take 15-20 minutes) along with required amount of water (follow instructions on the package or from your rice cooker)
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add the Earth Balance along with the onions. Cooked for 2-3 minutes
- Next, add in the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Once mushrooms and onion are soft, add the seasoning along with the broth, reduced heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- At this point, it should be a nice soft mixture. Remove from heat and immerse blend until no more chunks remain
- Once rice is done cooking, place in a bowl and add mushroom mixture. Top with ground pepper
Pair with some of your favourite veg’s and enjoy!